What it REALLY takes to quit your job and live the life you want!
For most people, getting a six-figure job would be one of the major highlights of their career. If you look at the math, earning six figures places you in the top ten percent of the entire workforce (give or take).
But for Jacob, this wasn’t enough. He felt something was missing. And so he sold off almost everything he had, convinced his wife to buy an RV and decided to travel the country.
We are sure you’ve heard stories like this before. In fact, we interviewed another RV entrepreneur during episode 42 which you can check out right here. But Jacob is a little different. So if you’ve ever wanted to “drop everything and start over”, be sure to smash that play button and listen to this episode. You’ll learn about all the pros and cons of such decisions and how to quit your job without leaving you and your family high and dry.
Show Notes & Episode Guide
- 1:00 — Martin asks Jacob how he “escaped the hustle” of a normal job. Martin introduces Jacob, who shares his story of how he left the hustle and grind to travel the world with his family in an RV. Jacob sold over 90% of the stuff he owned, packed up his family of 5, and visited 38 states.
- 1:40 – What makes someone snap and escape the rat race? Jacob talks about the build-up to this pivotal moment and what finally caused him to quit his job. Jacob goes into detail about what his grueling work schedule did to him.
- 5:19 – Jacob kicked the door down while his wife was in the washroom to inform her that they were leaving. You have to listen to this emotional story.
- 6:30 – Did Jacob’s wife believe that they would sell everything to travel the country in an RV?
- 7:40 – What happens when you feel stuck because of your age? Society tells you to work a stable 9-5 career to support your family. Jacob almost tripled his salary, and then he threw it away.
- 10:33 – Jacob talks about the importance of massive career pivots and why we should all consider them at some point. The guys talk about how so many people get stuck at their first job out of college. Jacob talks about the “WHY” game he plays and why people never leave jobs they hate. There’s a real reason behind what’s holding you back.
- 14:00 – What are the logistics of selling everything and planning a trip in an RV? Jacob breaks down the financials involved with this kind of move. Jacob discusses the concept of Coast FIRE and the calculations you should make.
- 17:45 – Jacob talks about the trailer that he purchased and how his family made it work. They found some mold and had to do some major repairs. You don’t have to spend a fortune on an RV if you’re concerned about the prices.
- 20:18 – Martin asks Jacob about how he had to sell all of his stuff and how he convinced his family to do this. There are secrets to getting the kids on board with getting rid of all their toys. The guys then talk about Facebook Marketplace. Jacob talks about the annual cleansing that his family does.
- 22:30 – The guys riff on the idea of clutter and how people have too much junk these days. Jacob talks about how letting go helped him reshape his entire career.
- 25:15 – You don’t need to figure everything out. You can just figure things out as you go. Jacob talks about how he handles risks.
- 27:00 – How does one figure out where to go in an RV? Jacob talks about how they decided where they would travel and visit with the RV.
- 28:50 – What’s Jacobs’s final piece of advice for those who are still on the fence about making this kind of move?
- 30:40 – Jacob tells us where we can find him.
Enjoyed This Episode? Leave Us A Review!
Fellow Hustler, if you enjoyed this episode and found value in the FREE content we provide, please do us a quick favor and leave us a positive rating on iTunes, Stitcher or whatever your favorite podcast player of choice happens to be.
Also, don’t be afraid to leave your honest feedback, questions or comments below — we read each and every single one!