What It Takes To Make A Successful Career Change And Launch A PMU Brand (w/ Sam Thomas)
Are you feeling stuck in a job that you hate and longing for a change? In today’s fast-paced world, it’s never too late to make a career change and pursue a new path that aligns with your passions and goals. And to prove this to you, we invited Sahil’s former business partner Sam Thomas to the show.
Not only did she make a successful transition into the world of PMU (permanent makeup) by launching her own brand called Forever Flawless. She now has two locations across Ontario Canada, and spills the beans about what it took to get her first client, how to have the courage to make the leap into a new career, the importance of marketing and how to avoid falling for scams, fads and other distractions in order to build a real, sustainable business.
This episode is sure to go down as one of the “classics”, so be sure to smash that play button above, and tune in!
Show Notes & Episode Guide
- 1:50 – Sam talks about how her and Sahil became business partners and sold the gym (a quick trip down memory lane for context)
- 2:55 – Sahil asks Sam what made her decide to start PMU (permanent makeup) as a side hustle, especially since her motivation wasn’t money like it is for most people
- 3:49 – Sam talks about the mental shift when she decided to turn her side hustle into her main career
- 4:45 – Sahil asks Sam what advice she has for people who are currently stuck in their current careers, know they need to make a change, but are too afraid to make the leap like she did.
- 5:43 – Sam talks about some of her initial mistakes she made and how to avoid giving up 60% of your initial income.
- 6:50 – Martin asks Sam how she landed her first client.
- 8:29 – Sam talks about the pros and cons of having your friends and family become your initial group of clients. Hint: there’s a wrong way, and a right way to do this. Sam did it the right way, and it would be wise to pay attention on how she did it.
- 9:55 – Sam and Sahil have a discussion about what it takes to actually master and hone your art so you can offer the absolute best product and / or experience to your customers.
- 11:45 – Sam reveals her biggest issue with the PMU industry and exposes the scams that lure people into thinking they will make 6 figures after taking some weekend course. She definitely drops some BOMBS here!
- 14:18 – Martin asks Sam what someone should reasonably expect to pay if they are looking to get trained in the PMU field and how long it typically takes to make back your investment.
- 17:50 – Sam talks about the importance of marketing, spending money on advertising, and how to actually get the word out about your services! This will be an eye opener for many new hustlers who are looking to launch their own business.
- 19:30 – In any industry where you’re offering similar services, you need to do something that makes you stand out. Sam talks about her USP (unique selling proposition) and how she ensures her clients end up with a very specific result so they can feel beautiful and confident. This is a very important point as you want to avoid being the same “me too” service in your city.
- 22:08 – Sahil did some research on Sam’s Instagram and noticed a technique that she does very well to help her content stand out from the rest. This is a golden opportunity for anyone getting started.
- 24:05 – Sahil asks Sam what are the tools and systems she uses to operate her business and keep herself organized.
- 28:00 – Sam has some more words about what it takes to do a career pivot and ensure you become successful with it.
- 29:00 – Sam and Sahil talk about where the PMU industry is headed in the near future and trends one should watch out for.
Enjoyed This Episode? Leave Us A Review!
Fellow Hustler, if you enjoyed this episode and found value in the FREE content we provide, please do us a quick favor and leave us a positive rating on iTunes, Stitcher or whatever your favorite podcast player of choice happens to be.
Also, don’t be afraid to leave your honest feedback, questions or comments below — we read each and every single one!